I don’t get how Sunye-tweeting-a-photo-of-a-product can become a sponsorship controversy in Korea.
There are people (it started with WG fans tho) commenting that Sunye is becoming a sponsorship queen despite not being an active celebrity. They are citing her honeymoon, drinks at her wedding, baby jewelry, breathing pillow, party decor, soccer octopus restaurant etc. tweets as sponsorship tweets. They are mad at her for receiving sponsored items and generally being happy with her life.
Yes, she does tweet a lot of ‘advertising’ type of tweets, but that doesn’t mean she is receiving sponsorship. 90% of her so-called advertising tweets are actually gifts from friends, especially church friends. Do you count gifts from your friends as a sponsorship? No. Will you help your friend to promote their products/brand out of friendship? Probably yes.
Just to clarify some of the examples raised by Korean netizens.
- Comesta baby jewelry: The Comesta guy is a friend of James and part of their profits actually goes towards helping Haiti children.
- CHERISH breathing pillow: The owner is a church friend of Sunye/James and he also promote his company on the church website.
- Party With Chloe party decor: The lady owner at Part With Chloe is a church friend of Sunye and James in Canada. They engaged this party planner for Sunye’s baby shower which was later digged out by fans. This friend later helped Sunye out for a friend’s after-wedding party which Sunye tweeted about.
- Soccer Octopus restaurant: A church friend of Sunye’s. This restaurant was also used as a venue for one of Wonder Girls’ comeback interview.
- Maldives’ honeymoon: They were in Maldives for more than a week, while the ELLE team were there only for 2-3 days (as indicated by photographer Genius Oh on his twitter). If you read the ELLE interview, Genius Oh was the one who suggested photoshoot in Maldives to capture these precious memories but some netizens make it sound as if Sunye asked for her trip to be sponsored in exchange for the photoshoot.
- Spa the El: The owner tweeted about how nice Sunye was and posted a photo of Sunye at Spa the El. It became a big news. Netizens start slamming Sunye for sponsorship. What about the numerous top celebrities who also took photo at Spa the El? Lee Mina, a former broadcaster, is a staunch Christian and friend of Sunye’s. You can see most of the top celebrities she posted photos with are Christians.
Korean netizens also have that double-standards against Sunye. They said she’s no longer a celebrity so get off twitter. How absurd, then those netizens should be the first to get off twitter. If she’s no longer a celebrity to you, then why are you so concern with what an ordinary person tweets?
What annoys me most if that Korean WG fans are the ones who started this nonsense. Sunye has fans who want to see her tweeting, even if it is about a product or a brand. Who are those netizens/WG fans to deprive others just because they themselves do not like it?